What do you do?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Tom Gallier, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What do you do when you've purchases an amazing stock photo/illustration (painted art) from a stock photo site, but before you can use it in a cover another BIGGER writer uses it on a book that sells like crazy?

Weep because you'll NEVER be able to use that image on LitRPG cover? Maybe use it on a fantasy book cover in a couple of years? Go on social media and demand an apology?

Or be like me and whine about it on a private forum?

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can your cover artist/designer make it a bit different with cropping or anything? I think I know what photo/art you're talking about! ;)

TWErvin2 likes this.
  3. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    50-100 for a decent stock photo cover. Use an artist, (single character) and cost around 200-300.... Totally up to you, what you want to invest in. I've just had 3 covers for Akillia's spin off series done, and no doubt they'll be on someone elses cover one day, but for the price and length of the pieces I am not that worried.

For my SF project with the awesome CT Phipps, we've had a custom art design drawn up and I'm using Sarah for the Typography. The reason is, it will be a good/funny series and I believe for the length of the book worth the investment.

TJ Knight, John Ward and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Tom Gallier

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could do that. I have a guy... But it's still a well known picture in the genre. Oh well, it only cost a few dollars.

5. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know this sounds weird but have you considered asking for a refund?

Dustin Tigner likes this.
  6. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I'd ask for a refund and see where that gets you. If it was only a few bucks, then I'd reconsider what you buy for cover art. You can buy premade covers that aren't too expensive. Once they sell a premade cover, they don't sell it again.

However, covers made with stock photography (the realistic covers), run the risk of having the same stock images used. That's where the cover artist typically blends the photos together so they look unique.

7. Tom Gallier

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, premades. I'd love to find a premade that fit my book perfectly. I've considered buying premades I like and writing stories inspired by the covers.

As for refund... It's so cheap I won't do that even if I never use it. I'll use it eventually, but probably on a 99 cent short story not a full novel. Shame, because I loves me some viking warrior girls.

Dustin Tigner likes this.
  8. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was thinking that you could also ask to switch out images if all your trading is the rights to use it you could ask to get another image instead.

Tom Gallier likes this.
  9. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A lot of premade artists (like myself) will take requests or alter stuff after you buy it on request, so there's still hope you can use it. A swapped out background and some lighting/cropping changes can really make a cover look different from the original stock. And don't fret too much, because of the volume of images a potential buyer sees, an ebook cover is just basically there to grab the reader's attention enough to make them read the info, it's not like dead tree books where readers would spend more time looking at the cover art.

Paul Bellow and Tom Gallier like this.
  10. Tom Gallier

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True, Vier. I'll use the pic, but let a cover artist do his/her magic with it. But not right away. It needs time.

Paul Bellow likes this.