RANT What do you HATE in a book?!

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Kidlike101, Sep 13, 2017.

1. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How is a 3 on a 1-5 scale considered negative? That's smack in the middle!

2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have a new goal, Get Chesirephoenix to give me a 5/5 review.
    Also ask Amazon how 3/5 is neg, they just say it is.

3. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't reviewed any books on amazon, that's kind of a low blow to make 3 a negative though. 60/100 is still a passing grade XD

4. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I was referring to Amazon. Usually any 3 I give there is one that has some redeeming value and often pacing issues or other developmental issues that make them rough reading. anything I enjoyed there gets a least a 4. The rating scale on Amazon is a bit skewed. I try to look for reviews that point out things that people like or don't like.

5. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok, I might give a 1 or 2 to a book that is truly shovelware (incoherent drivel). I've beta read a book that I would have given a 2. I chose not to review that one. I don't review books I've beta read until reading (or at least skimming) the published version.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You actually have a review from me on one of your books. Not telling which one though!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Flutters her eyelashes at you.

Want my approval too love? I have to warn you though, my heart is fickle... also this guy is guarding it ::PAL::::PAL::::PAL::

8. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  9. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    is it a 5/5?
    Also Spelling is overrated CheshirePhoenix.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  10. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not telling! You'll just have to find it and find out.
    [​IMG]

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  11. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Speaking of Banshee... I found out the producer was leaving True Blood and looked him up on IMDB and found out about 3 months before Banshee started hyping the show. I launched Bansheefans.com and became the first fan site. It didn't last long though because I didn't like the show but I did do an interview with Joseph Gatt who played the Albino from the Prison flashbacks in season 1. He also played in a Star Trek movie. Found out that a couple of the stars had talked about the site on set. My biggest claim to fame! lol

12. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The nightblade epic takes the cake for worst book ive ever read:

The MC is an annoying village girl who runs away from her home to be like her childhood hero whos this great theif that never kills and when i mean never i mean neverrr so anyway girl finds this caravan with rich girl they run away and gain some enemies including richs mother so anyways they meet up with a boy theif and a murlock thing during there adventures she is a terrible leader hurts them probably more then she helped, and acts really nasty for a larg portion of the journy as well as being selfish they still look up to her as a great friend and leader she dosent even have any mary sue "Im being dumb but you all still like that' or something

but the WORST PART is how self righteous she is about not killing theres a scene in the book (about where i quit) where there with this protector person and they see an army (with i think prisoners) so they decide to try to rescue them or something protectors just like well we could kill these watchmen on the way in so we can get but and she says no so they decide to go the hard way around without killing anyone they get discovered and protector has to kill them all so they can get away she then procedes to call protector evil and get mad at him for days because shes a pacifist and cant even be anywhere near someone even killing in SELF DEFENSE to save HER who got them in the mess in the first place is an act of clear evil throught the story anyone whos killed anyone she called evil and not trustworthy even after she almost gets herself and them killed multiple times doing dumb stuff and they have to saver her

what annoys me is how much the book tries to make her out to be this great figure whos forgeing her own path and is a super good person even when it seems like she goes out of her way to try and get her friends killed

EDIT: So im aware the original question was what do you hate in a book its this when a book tries so hard to call there MC good and the MCs enemies evil when in reality the MC is a terrible person and the enemies are largely made by her being that way one of the enemies is her BFFs mother who gets mad when she essentially takes her daughter out of the saftey of her life tell everyone there smuggling a super illegal substance and then tries to turn her daughter into a theif without ever asking permission

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  13. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That ... actually sounds like an interesting read.

14. Matthew Sylvester

Matthew Sylvester Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you reported it for copyright infringement? They'll pull it straight off and then investigate.

15. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That sounds so Mary Sue.

16. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Id call it mary sue accept the MC never did anything like most of the stuff was done by her ordering her friends to do stuff for her.

17. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually can confirm the wierdest noob got called out atleast once I was reading the reviews a while back and there were a few like that must have gotten removed.

18. Jon Chambers

Jon Chambers Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anything immersion breaking is killer for me. Sometimes the author has a really good pun, or scene, or situation in mind, but in order to get there the characters need to drop in intelligence and the laws of physics need to be hand waved away. Or rules about how this world operate are momentarily forgotten about. I feel cheated, and trying to imagine the world in the larger context outside of the story becomes impossible, as even the details WITHIN the story don't line up, so why even bother to guess what the details outside the story might be?

In my own writing, sometimes I may have a good joke or scene in mind, but if the characters don't want to play along, I won't force them. Nothing is so important that it's worth sacrificing immersion to get. (I know it's not LitRPG, and I know the guy is dead now, but Douglas Adams, you can fly by throwing yourself at the ground and missing? Yes, that's hilarious, but no, you should not include that in the plot, I don't care how hilarious. Characters now having the ability to fly away whenever the plot demands it makes anticipating what will come next a pointless exercise.)

Edit:
    (Just after writing this, I went to work on a story in progress trying to find a place to insert a really awesome scene I had in mind. I took my own advice. The scene shall not be written.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  19. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    probably, I looked it up the other day and the only "negative" review was a 3 stars one that said it kindda reminded him of Way of the shaman but had enough differences to be it's own thing... I have yet to come across any. the guy actually admits in the book that he plagiarized other "games" and copied the best elements to come up with his creation.

it was said about the game in the book ofcourse but either I was projecting or he was actually gloating that he could do it and get away with it!

I'm not too familiar with Russian copyright laws, I know it's considered plagiarism if there is over a 60% similarity in the wording, meaning that he could take the same idea and just phrase it a bit differently to get away with it =/

20. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I figured out what I hate in LitRPG specifically. There is a lack of craft in it. I held off on saying anything until I could put my finger on it and then listening to Fayroll... I found it. There is no up and down to the story. No emotional roller coaster. There are no beats. It's all positive and confidence I did this and then I did that. I don't know how that book got so much good publicity.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.