What is LitRPG?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Edwin McRae, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm donating him some LitCoin for encouragement on long, well-thought-out posts! ;)

[​IMG]

GameMasterPhoenix and Windfall like this.
  2. GameMasterPhoenix

GameMasterPhoenix Level 8 (Thug) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    Zone:
    U.S.(MidWest)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Interesting point. Technically Dragonball is Japanese while Wuxia is Chinese, but who cares really? I would say it fits the bill. It think it could even fit into xianxia if you squint real hard and ignore the lack of blatant daoism/cultivation references.

LWFlouisa likes this.
  3. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "It is a genre where games or game-like challenges form an essential part of the story" -- I like this a lot!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah... xianxia seems a better fit, actually.

5. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's my exact situation with my first LitRPG I started in 2009, and now editing, as it's written in such a way where it's a Gamified dream world.

I'll note that Lidier's Game, like Different Colors Of Bow, follows a different form of gameplay than Uploaded Fairy. Rather than ruling out some books and not others, it's become increasingly apparent my first book was kind of the first in a long series of books that build up to the setting that exists in the first book.

Because the game world evolved from open source programming, and messing around with wetware, to create such a "this is now your reality" kind of illussion. Specifically it's evolved into a hybrid of electronic afterlife, and wetware lucid dreaming.

The only thing throwing a monkey in the wrench, I'll also fairly transparently a fan of historical fiction elements, as well as elements of straight up non-fiction: the inverse of history, being "the news" at times. It's not as bad as trying to say ... include a Charles Henry Sanson in a modern romance. But there is a lot of genre atypical things I might end up including more of.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    GameMasterPhoenix likes this.