What is your guilty pleasure?

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Seagrim, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Now that I've suckered you in with a suggestive title, try to get your mind relatively out of the gutter. I'm not asking for something that would make a Penthouse forum letter, I'm asking, what is the book or movie that you watch, that is the equivalent of junk food, but, it's one you really liked.

I remember an old episode of Ebert and Siskel, where, one of their guilty pleasure movies was, "Invasion of the Bee Girls". This is what I'm talking about, what would you consider a guilty pleasure.

For me, it's the Japanese light novels in general, however, one of the most guilty of pleasures is, "I saved too many girls and caused the apocalypse". A harem building novel series where, eventually, the harem of powerful girls grows so large that the catfight over the MC is now pointed at as the great galactic war that became an apocalypse.

What would you point at and go, this is my guilty pleasure?

2. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Power Rangers.

TV show, not the new movie. That was garbage. I don't know what it is, but I'll watch just about anything where a dude in a giant monster costume stomps around in a miniature city.

John Rickett and Seagrim like this.
  3. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gory, over-the-top 80's horror flicks with rubbery monsters.

4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Twilight.

Wait... that's not a guilty pleasure, that's just guilt.

Chocolate covered espresso beans. That's my guilty pleasure. Honestly, I've been around too long and done too much to really feel guilty or ashamed about anything I like. For instance, I unironically like Hello Kitty. No clue why, I just do - but I gave up any sense of shame right around the time I gave my last fk, back on September 23, 1983.

I had a wandering fk fly by and I caught it a few months ago, but I gave that one right away about Forest Whitaker's lazy eye. Seriously - have you SEEN it?!

Felicity Weiss and John Rickett like this.
  5. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Like CP, I'm too old now to have guilty pleasures. I like what I like and I don't care what other people think about that. I like action and humour, if there's a bit of sexiness or naughtiness included so much the better. ;)

Edit* Sorry CP - just realised now that I might have implied you're old! :p

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    But I am, though!

Readsalot likes this.
  7. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would say Animes and manga, I've gotten bored of them ages back but every now and then I'd see an odd title and grab the book or watch an episode on crunchy roll.

The last two I saw which were down right horrible (but I still had fun with them so guilty pleasure) was

someething something title that I've forgotten and then "re-incarnated as a slime"
    read the manga online and it's alot of fun, the story is really really REALLY bad but I just couldn't stop.

the other one... err I just watched one episode, had fun then said NOPE! which is an anime on crunchy roll called "in another world with my cell phone"
    It starts off with an interesting idea, you're dead and god promises to re-incarnate you in a fantasy world since it really wasn't your time. you get to take one thing with you from your old life as his way of apologizing for the error so the kid being 15 wants to keep his iphone complete with changeability and net access.

Now this was a good set up as god adjusted the cell phone to act as a poxedex for monster encounters and a map for the fantasy world. so all looking good.

Then god powers, not even kidding, as an "added bonus for being polite to god" he has the strength and speed of a demi-god and an affinity for ALL types of magic (the most talented in this world have 2-3 only) not just affinity but a monstrous amount of magical energy for all of them... yeah he's god and has no flaws what so ever mid-episode. it was going so well till that happened so not going to keep going with it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  8. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ha, yeah. Smartphone is one of those isekai that everyone loves to parody.

9. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Really? I thought it was Konosuba clone just with god powers and a eunuch MC, they really should have stuck to the cellphone idea instead it's just there for the sake of the title.

10. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah. Isekai has been around for quite awhile, and Konosuba is a satire of the genre. Kinda like how Star Driver is a satire of mecha anime and Kill la Kill is a mashup of magical girl, high school battlers, and cheesecake anime satires.

Smartphone - at least the bits we're getting as an anime this season (I've been told it gets much more serious/better in the manga) - is pretty much paint by numbers when it comes to the isekai genre.

Edit to add: the smartphone does come into play in the anime as sort of a plot coupon.

11. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have no idea what you just wrote XD XD XD

I know the concept of (ops got stuck in a game/game like world) has been since sword online came out but the way Smartphone starts off is similar to that of Konosuba. shame they didn't commit. in episode one the phone was used to:-

1. take a photo of a sleeping girl.... because that's not creepy at all!
    2. find the recipe for making ice cream.
    3. that's it. the rest was his god power and the series didn't interest me enough to watch more.

Viergacht likes this.
  12. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It becomes far more of a plot coupon later in the series. For instance, in one of the recent episodes, MC-kun used it to target and eliminate an entire attacking army.

For anime, you really shouldn't judge it by the very first episode. Give it three episodes minimum before deciding if you like something or not, since it can take awhile to kick into gear.

Isekai (lit. "other world") is the genre of getting transported to another world. Usually the MC is all powerful because reasons - in Gate, Itami is all powerful because guns, in SAO Kirito is all powerful because he played the beta and got a leg up, then he games the system to get more power, and in Log Horizon it's because Shiroe was already pretty much god tier as a schemer and that carried over. In Overlord, it's because he's the only player left in the game, etc. They also tend to collect harems, but not every time.

Isekai has been around since way, way before SAO. In Japan it goes back to 1983 with Aura Battler Dunbine (which I hadn't heard of before researching this) and if you don't limit it just to Japan, then I'd say Chronicles of Narnia is probably where the whole thing got started. However, with the success of SAO, it's gotten a lot more popular - which means the same thing to Japan as it does in America: knockoffs.

Which is fine by me as I enjoy it for what it is. Not everything we like has to be highbrow sophisticated oscar bait crap* and anyone who claims otherwise is a person that I simply wouldn't want to know.

*Like right now, I'm watching a Bollywood superhero movie and this is a thing that happened, in between random song and dance numbers and sappy trite romance bs:

It's not a "good" movie by any objective standard we would care to measure it by. But it's entertaining as hell and I'm enjoying it for what it is.

azukilemons and Seagrim like this.
  13. John Rickett

John Rickett Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

10%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lady Gaga.

I rock the f**k out to some Lady Gaga.

Jun and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  14. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I took an introductory hip hop class as a one credit elective one semester and we learned a dance routine to Starstruck.

I've still got that song stuck in my bloody head, when I'm not stuck on a mashup of I'm Blue (ba da bee) + Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

John Rickett likes this.
  15. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read this as "I like CP", to which I thought "That is a VERY guilty pleasure", and wondered for a bit why everybody else wasn't freaking out.

16. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are you trying to say I'm an irascible unlikeable schmuck, James? Sheesh!

17. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Me toooooooooooooooo!

Hrm, what else. Stubbornly keeping my AOL email, even though the moniker makes me look like a tween.
    Ketchup on Mac n Cheese.
    Checking out self-improvement books on KU because they are free, but returning them if they are longer than a 20 min read.

Viergacht likes this.
  18. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Quite a few of my friends still have ye olde l33t sp33k in their email addresses and various screen names.

And twilight isn't my cuppa, I was making a joke :p

19. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know you have to save face, but don't worry, this can be our little secret.

bday.jpg

Viergacht and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  20. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ahahahahahahah I think I wrote about how I felt about Twilight here once before?

I read the books, and the only redeeming scene - the ONLY one - was the c-section by nom.

Viergacht likes this.