What would you recomnend for a new reader?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by lordnova, May 18, 2017.

1. wordrew

wordrew Wayward Writer & Builder of Worlds LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm curious as to where Aleron Kong's books fall into the conversation. Admittedly, his marketing is what opened my eyes to this genre, so it's the only touchstone I have thus far (excepting the knowledge that a certain nerdgasmic book referencing all things amazing 80s now fits into this genre's definition). I want to make sure I'm reading the best quality stuff in the genre to keep my writerly intent in-line with what embraces LitRPG's core.

2. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think Aleron is an amazing success. He is smart and super passionate about his writing. Shortly after this forum came up, he made one too, over at litrpg.com and you can see his fanbase really get into the nitty gritty of his books over there. I don't know much else about him other than his fame in the genre. I enjoy his Land series.*

*And his Smite gem giveaways xD

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    wordrew likes this.
  3. Tfish10065

Tfish10065 Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not a big fan of Aleron. I like his books. I respect his marketing savvy. He'll be in the bizz a long time, that's for sure. He knows how to roll with the punches. Marketing himself as the "father of LitRPG" was a success. The thing is that you don't have to be the best, just the first. That brings recognition unto itself. I know he's still trying to find a way to trademark the name "LitRPG." He says it's to safeguard the genre. Whatever the reason, if he is successful, he could make everyone take the buzzword "LitRPG" out of their catalog. The keyword is "IF" he's successful. Frankly, I don't think he's got a prayer in hell of getting a trademark on the name. But, I digress.

RauthrMystic and Eden Redd like this.
  4. wordrew

wordrew Wayward Writer & Builder of Worlds LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Please, digress more. This is good conversation that helps a n00b in the genre understand the climate. I can see how his strategy is successful and potentially divisive within the genre and the authors of said genre. I read "Father of LitRPG" and was a bit taken aback by the self-proclaimed presumption. Perhaps he is and, in that case, that's awesome. I bought his first book in The Land series and I'll let him earn my continued readership. I love that he's engaging in social media and the market, but I am simply too new to this realm to know enough. Again, I appreciate your perspective.

RauthrMystic and Felicity Weiss like this.
  5. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, I don't know how much of a success it was since it has brought him a load of haters. Sure, you could argue that people talking about him is a success, but with the things they're saying it's a pretty weak argument to be fair.

I noticed he eventually changed it to the Father of AMERICAN LitRPG due to all the haters saying how he was a liar etc etc. I mean, the Koreans and Russians clearly had this genre long before he came on the scene. Even saying he is the father of American LitRPG isn't true though. There are LitRPG books dating to before there was a LitRPG genre, and it has been an element i non-LitRPG for even longer. Look at things like The Matrix, or even the movie Demolition Man (it has virtual reality sex in it, because no one gets physical in the future).

As for safeguarding the genre... I never understood that. No one trademarked Paranormal Romance, or Horror, to safeguard it. What does it need to be safeguarded from? I see only three possibilities here:
    • He doesn't understand how genres work
    • He wants to be paid every time an author says their book is LitRPG
    • He wants to control exactly what can and can't be called LitRPG
    Maybe I'm wrong and there are other reasons. But if I'm not, then two of those three make him look really sleazy and the third makes him seem like an idiot.

Add to this the fact that his facebook group bans anyone who disagrees with him, regularly bans other authors like @Zachariah Dracoulis without warning, censors people without warning, and bans anyone who asks why he is the "father of American LitRPG" when he wasn't even the first American LitRPG author, or even the first to use that word, and it makes him look like a total control freak. I'm not saying he is one, I'm saying it is the image he is projecting.

Everyone says he is great at online marketing. I'd say either he really isn't, or he's deliberately creating the impression he is generating. Online marketing really isn't hard, but where most people fail is that they just do everything as 1 and 1 and 1 and 1. For instance, John Smith wants to market his new book Generic Fantasy. He makes a post (1) on Facebook. He tweets (1) on Twitter. He blogs (1) on his blog. He moans he isn't getting much traction from it.

Joe Bloggs wants to market his new book, Generic Horror, online. He develops a marketing strategy with an end-goal. He posts (1) on Facebook. He tweets (2). He blogs (3). There is a plan throughout it all that adds up to something, that develops something. It gets him a lot more traction and attention.

Aleron seems to understand this part of the strategy, but from the outside looking in his end-goal seems to be "piss off as many folk as I can." Which somehow seems to have made some of his die-hard fans actual fanatics. He also has readers that aren't fanatics (like me, I read The Land but I'm not out on social media screaming down everyone who doesn't agree he's the greatest writer since Tolkien), and an awful lot of Haters.

It's a strange strategy tbh, one I've never really seen another author use - and especially strange because nothing in his books is particularly controversial.

6. wordrew

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really appreciate the comments @Larakel! I love hearing what others who are either writing in the genre or who are fans/readers of the genre have to say about these things. Like I mentioned previously, something didn't sit right with me about his approach. You said sleazy and, well....

I have joined several FB groups for LitRPG and I am pretty sure his is one of them. I'll definitely just observe, ask for insights, and make my own conclusions to the conversation. I am surprised at how eerily similar his forums are compared to this one. It seems as though He liked what was happening here but perhaps wanted to keep his fans to himself? The problem with all of that controlling is, 1) fans will find more books to read regardless of if you try to isolate them or not and, 2) he removes valuable voices from the conversation about the genre, where it's going, and how to spread the word to more readers (thus making more money). I haven't made a judgment, but at least some of my early speculation wasn't fully unwarranted. The trademarking thing already irks the shit out of me though....

7. Tfish10065

Tfish10065 Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

8. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I proclaim myself the Queen of Sexy LitRPG!

Off to trademark!

(I'm kidding. I dont need to trademark since it's tattooed on the inside of my heart. Plus, I need a nap.:)

9. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A title is only worth it if others bestow it upon you...

I proclaime @Eden Redd the Queen of Sexy LitRPG... <3

10. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I cackled. Thank you for the proper title!

* turns to subjects

I promise to make litrpg sexy across the many lands and cake for all!

11. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The_cake_is_a_lie.jpg

Asakust, Seagrim and Eden Redd like this.
  12. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If there is cake involved, then I'm in! Long live the Queen of Sexy LitRPG!

RauthrMystic and Eden Redd like this.
  13. Eden Redd

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I feel like I should screen shot this and post it as proof of my royal title. :D

Tom Gallier and RauthrMystic like this.
  14. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I second or third the motion to proclaim your title, but I think calling you Queen is a disservice for the work you have done.
    Therefore I would like to put forth the title of Empress of LitRPG Sexiness.
    Can I get a second?

15. Eden Redd

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol! Queen for a few hours and then promoted to empress. This reign is starting out well. :D

RauthrMystic and Felicity Weiss like this.
  16. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Another few books and we can try for lower level divinity....

17. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally I dont think they do or at least not in a prominent roll it might just be me but I don't think there near good enough im not saying his books are bad but just because he gives himself a title dosent mean he deserves it, there is nothing I can find uniquely American about his books honestly I would say there slightly above average LitRPG written by an American. Honestly I think Blaise/Travis or a few others are more likely to be the father of American LitRPG as their books are good enough and different enough to stand on there own. If you are going to call something genre (placename) then that has to be different if your making a traditional western RPG in japan its not automatically a JRPG. Just like making a normal LitRPG book in America dosent make it American LitRPG.

I realise this has become more a rant about his title then his relevance, I just think that his books aren't good enough to warent giving to a beginner and the main reason he is talked about so much is his title and marketing.

PS
    My suggestion is that you give Alter world to beginners if they want to try something LitRPG and if your trying to entice them into the genre give them something that blends more with traditional fantasy and scifi like SAM .

Eden Redd likes this.
  18. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd recommend Way of the Shaman, Mirror World, Continue Online, and Awaken Online to newbies.

If I had to pick just one, it'd be Continue Online, solely for the real world segments. It's a part of the genre that I feel is neglected an awful lot that blurs the line between portal fantasy/isekai and litRPG.

Oh and to the person who wanted a sci-fi recommendation, try Rune Universe on for size.

19. NonAmus

NonAmus Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    Zone:
    central
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi, new guy here. Just wanted to throw in my recommendations as I am "The Father of 2 American Children".
    • Hero of Thera: Innocent guy on death row becomes a pawn of Gods in a multiverse battle. My personal favorite American Litrpg
    • Soulstone: Gamer gets forced to play a VR game where death is real to stop a real world virus.
    • Viridian Gate Online: Regular guy escapes real world Armageddon by uploading to game world.
    • Legendary Moonlight Sculptor: The first "LITrpg" I read. It is a Korean light novel and has been/is being translated for years. It is an amazing VRMMO story and very long.

20. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually can't find legendary moonlight sculptor anywhere on Kindle at all. Which is sad, because it comes very highly recommended and I'd really like to read it.

RauthrMystic and Paul Bellow like this.