What's a good definition of LitRPG?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Conor Kostick, May 17, 2017.

1. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also keep in mind the rule of the internet the vast majority of people enjoying something never say anything. Looking at fellowship of the ring one of the best selling books ever has only 20k reviews on amazon if even 1% of the people who read the book got it on amazon (which seems unlikely) thats still 75 times more people who read it then reviewed it.

RauthrMystic and Dean Chalmers like this.
  2. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I dont think tower or FPS have nearly enough books to be considered genres, but i do like the other ones. Except I think LitRPG should be called game mech and RPG fiction should be called LitRPG it might just be me but seeing as Litrpg is the most popular genre term and it contains alternate perspective and game mech it make more sense to make it the parent genre.

Dean Chalmers likes this.
  3. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would normally agree, but the definition of what constitutes a LitRPG novel is so convoluted, that I think it would be more detrimental to make it the parent than a sub genre. People would have to globally accept that LitRPG simply means a story set in a game like world, no other distinctions associated with it. Do you see people agreeing to that? Haha, I don't.

Edit: Oh and I was tossing FPS-RPG as an example. There are actually a lot of tower climbers.

Dean Chalmers and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Honestly I agree with you my point isn't that they wouldn't be arguments its that as these new genres grow and evolve LitRPG will always be considered the first. Most newcomers wont be diehard MMO or stats fans and will just want and remember the gamey feel and since the newcomers are almost always in the majority this will become the generally accepted term and its meaning will eventually morph. So I think its better to start now and get rid of some of the confusion around the term than let it stay something that diehard fans and newcomers disagree on.

5. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When was the term LitRPG first used? And what was that story about? When did the term deviate to include other types of stories?

I feel that the term came about for a particular style of books, and since then the definition has stretched to include other similar books.

I guess my question is, is that what we want? For the genre to keep expanding to eventually include any story that takes place within a game/game-like world?

Or do we want to keep what LitRPG is as very specific? If that's the case, what do we call stories that take place within a game / game-like world, that aren't LitRPG?

I'll use my current WIP as an example. The story takes place within a post-apocalypse, zombie survival video-game contest. Let's say there is no stats, levels, skills, or progression. LitRPG?

RauthrMystic and Dean Chalmers like this.
  6. James G Patton

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is the crux. If you call it LitRPG you risk pissing people off and getting bad reviews, you don't call it LitRPG , then how do you define it? It goes back to my same argument, LitRPG is a sub genre of a nonexistent genre. Call it RPG Fiction, I'm trying to build the brand RPG-Fi, look I even have a logo:

[​IMG]

Dustin Tigner and Dean Chalmers like this.
  7. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    • LitRPG - Narrative RPG books
      • Fantasy LitRPG
        • Hard LitRPG
        • Dungeon POV
        • Monster POV
        • LitRPG Romance
        • LitRPG Erotica
        • LitFPS
        • LitRTS
        • Portal Fiction w/game elements
        • Portal Fiction w/out game elements
        • Soft LitRPG
      • Science Fiction LitRPG
        • Hard LitRPG
        • Space Opera LitRPG
        • Alien LitRPG
        • Modern LitRPG
        • Cyberpunk LitRPG
        • Steampunk LitRPG
        • Soft LitRPG

???

8. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Dustin Tigner LitRPG was coined by the Russians in 2010 (??) - three authors got together and did an anthology with that as the title.

I'm starting RPG-Fu and Advanced LitRPG for uber nerds. ;)

::PAL::

9. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I Like it :) now we just have to convince everyone else to :(

PS. what is steampunk LitRPG?

10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  11. Matthew Sylvester

Matthew Sylvester Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why would you remove pain? It's a load of books.

12. Matthew Sylvester

Matthew Sylvester Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First used by a games designer to define how RPGs can be literature and tell stories. Can't remember the link, but it was back in 2009 or similar and nothing to do with MMO.

13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    http://davidartman.com/games/rpg/litrpg

I doubt that's how the Russians came up with it? Maybe?

14. Asakust

Asakust Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I recall from a LitRPG podcast interview that it was Vasily Mahanenko and his fellow writers who coined the term (or at least claim to).

15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    UPDATE: (1/16/17) We’ve heard back from Magic Dome Books and have a bit more information from them about the origins of LitRPG in Russia and elsewhere in the world.

Some experts track the origins of the genre as far back as the mid-1980s but its initial popularity indeed peaked with the arrival of The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. Its first translations appeared in Russia around 2010, triggering a wave of fan fiction from new budding Russian authors who came up with a name for the new genre: LitRPG.

Three published authors became the founders of the genre in our country. I’m talking about D. Rus, V. Mahanenko and D. Mikhailov. All three originally contributed their series to Russia’s bestselling “LitRPG” project which is published by EKSMO, Russia’s biggest publishing house, since 2013.

The word “LitRPG” as the project’s title was suggested by the project’s producer Alex Bobl in a brainstorming session with V. Mahanenko and EKSMO’s science fiction editor-in-chief Dmitry Malkin. Later, other gifted Russian authors joined the project, such as M. Atamanov, A. Osadchuk and A. Livadny.

https://litrpgreads.com/what-is-litrpg

16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Circa 2012...(??)

@TWErvin2 ...

17. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  18. James G Patton

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Fantasy and Sci Fi are too hard lined. A lot of books verge across both. Look at Chatfield for example. In my opnion you would want to break away from Fantasy or Science Fiction, they are their own genre. You can already tag a book with those genres. So that creates a lot of redundancy. If a book is Fantasy based, you can still tag your book as such. Defining a distinct genre you have to pinpoint what makes it unique. Gameworld setting - Check. Now what are the defining characteristics of sub genres? Game Menus, SKill Ups, etc. Check. POV type books, Check, Game types Check

19. Dustin Tigner

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I replaced full pain with the pain of a sharp pinch and/or the feeling of a bruise. Enough to provide a beneficial user experience. I feel that full pain isn't realistic for a video game. It would deter people from playing.

This doesn't mean LitRPG books can't have pain / full pain. I have one series that will have full pain because it fits the premise. The story takes place within a game world, though is not played as a game. It's life. Thus, pain makes sense.

However, like I said, these books I'm writing don't make me want to go play an MMORPG, video game, or paper game. They are story based entertainment. I understand that this may not be the ideal definition of the genre. It's just a feeling of the genre I've recognized as a reader and wanted to put out there.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Dustin Tigner

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What I'm most interested in, is what the readers are looking for when they see the label LitRPG.

Maybe what we can do is produce a massive LitRPG poll. Utilize the forum groups, Twitter, newsletters, vlogs, etc. to drive as many readers to the poll as possible.

A poll gives us real data. It gives us a look into what people want and what people don't want. We can identify what they deem as LitRPG and what they deem as not LitRPG.

I /want/ to call my books LitRPG. Though if I use the term LitRPG and people don't agree, whether or not they like the book, I'll receive negative reviews.

If this is something we may be interested in, I feel we should put a lot of thought into how we ask the questions. Set up an alliance between all the LitRPG communities to make the data available to everyone. It's a joint effort.

Thoughts?

Paul Bellow likes this.