Which TV shows are you watching?

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Readsalot, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As a general rule I don't have time for TV shows when I'm writing, though I do sometimes watch them when my head is foggy or I'm between novels. Reality TV works best for those times because it's mindless.

Sometimes I'll take a break and binge an entire season of something on Netflix or Hulu in 1-2 days.

When I do get around to it I currently watch:
    - The Walking Dead (Finishing up last season)
    - Masterchef (and Masterchef Junior)
    - Project Runway
    - The Profit
    - South Park

Want to start:
    - Humans Season 3
    - Legion Season 2

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do you watch the American Masterchef? I tried, but didn't like it very much. However, I love Masterchef Australia!

3. Jun

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I only watch the USA version because that's what's available on Hulu. Some seasons are better than others. It depends a lot on the personalities they've managed to round up for the contestants.

4. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For me it was the personalities of the judges that put me off.

I'm rather unhappy that Gordon Ramsay is going to be the guest judge next week on Masterchef Australia. I like him fine when he does his own shows, but he's a total c... in these types of shows.

5. Jun

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He's a lot nicer on MasterChef Junior. He treats the kids and adults differently IMO.

Declan Heyse, Jay and Readsalot like this.
  6. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm a sucker for good storytelling and the Kiksuya episode of Westworld is a brilliant example of exactly that: Good storytelling. Don't think I've seen an episode of any other series recently that so perfectly and beautifully tells a tale.

Katastrophe likes this.
  7. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He's very gentle and patient with kids because they're learning.

With adults that should know better or what to argue really dumb things, he does get a lot more harsh. On Kitchen Nightmares, it's an interesting thing to watch because if the person is honest and trying hard, he's very supportive. He's blunt, honest, but he appreciates someone that tries. He only pulls out the cursing and being particularly nasty if they're someone who argues with things like "you can't serve expired meat" or something like that.

8. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't do TV. I do Netflix and Amazon Prime.

So right now, I'm watching Season 4 of Z Nation, which was surprisingly awesome in Season 1. 2-3 got a bit...weirder, but it's still a fun watch.

9. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gordon Ramsay is a SUPER nice dude in person. He's only a martinet in the kitchens where he's the head chef.

Jay likes this.
  10. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Martinet isn't the word I'd use.

11. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's very true. This is one of my favorite little clips of him.

He's wonderfully patient and supportive of her. He describes the pie to her in ways that she can understand, like hearing and touch. He knows she's trying hard and worried, but doing her best. And he is very reassuring and calming.

Everything I've heard about him is he's only a jerk to you if you deserve it. If you respect him, he respects you and he's willing to work with you and help you. He's honestly one of my favorite famous chefs for that.

12. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Out of the ones I've met, Gordon Ramsay is one of the best. Bobby Flay is pretty cool too. Alton Brown is a massive donkey wang, and Ted Allen is pretty cool - the dude is a walking encyclopedia of all things foodie. I've met a few others, but they didn't really make much of an impression on me, or I just met them in passing and it was more of a "cool, they're here too? I'll have to go say hi" thing.

Jay likes this.
  13. Katastrophe

Katastrophe Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Fantasy Author Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed. It was incredible.

Readsalot likes this.
  14. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Good Place

It's very hard to talk about this without giving away anything. The show is down right devious!

Ok, so you follow the MC, Eleanor. She just died and was welcomed to the good place (They never call it heaven, it's just the good or bad place) Here's the thing, They got her name right but she's not who they think she is. She's not a human's right lawyer that dedicated her life to ease the suffering of children... she's a dirt bag telemarketer from Arizona that scammed the elderly into buying fake medicine... knowingly! Season one is just her presence in the good place causing anomalies and her trying to avoid being found out. She roped in her soul mate into this but he's such a goody goody two shoes that he actually makes it harder for her.

The show deals with the question of morality. Is doing the right thing enough or is the reason behind you doing said thing just as important. What if the your reasons are good but the outcome of the situation is bad? What if the reasons are corrupt but the outcome was good one?

The writing in this show is razer sharp and the almost childlike set design actually adds to the atmosphere once the big twist is revealed. The whole show is layers of deception yet it's very open about it. Once you suspect it (like me because I have a twisted mind) it's impossible to not go back and re-watch to see all the clues and hints flat out told to you in every single episode. They never went TADA or BY THE WAY! It was always there, the writing was just so good it worked on two levels!

Funny, cute and a little sinister. This show is worth at the very least one watch.

15. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just don't watch TV anymore, even though I should. I'll have so much to catch up on.

16. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have to, ahem, get creative with TV watching since I don't have a tv license. Or a tv.

Last thing I watched was HarmonQuest, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I mostly watch cartoons nowadays, for whatever reason. They're just more creative than real life shows, or something. Pretty jazzed to see Venture Bros is coming back in August.

Also extremely excited for Wellington Paranormal, since What We Do in the Shadows is one of my all time favorite movies.

17. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finished up West World season 2. I like the emergent AGI concepts.

New season of The Affair started up. Why I like this show? One, it has the actor from the Wire who I like. Second, they do this really cool thing where they present the same scene from two different POVs - and they're often dramatically different. Kinda sexy in spots, but I like deconstructing their dual-POV scenes.

Also finished up Expanse season 3. Wow! Good stuff. Has anyone noticed the lack of robots in the future shown on the show?

18. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    *sets TV to Record*

[​IMG]

19. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    She's definitely gorgeous, and she's a huge advocate for the LGBT+ community, but I'm a bit worried about her acting ability (or lack thereof). The only thing I've ever seen her in was Orange is the New Black, and I don't remember it being all that stellar of an acting performance. And the CW doesn't exactly have the best track record with folks who can act being on their superhero shows (which, to be fair, might actually be the screenwriters' or directors' fault).

Readsalot likes this.
  20. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anyone else watching Bobcat Goldthwait's "Misfits & Monsters"?