Which TV shows are you watching?

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Readsalot, Oct 16, 2017.

1. R.M. Soderlund

R.M. Soderlund Level 7 (Cutpurse) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Melbourne, Australia
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just finished re-watching Rick and Morty before it's taken off Netflix... some of the episodes are so clever but it can go to some pretty nihilistic places!

I'm about half way through The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, which is a film, but is told in episodic format. I'm still not sure what to make of it ... Has anyone else watched it?

2. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think they should have kept it as six different shorts, released as a limited series (which was the original idea, as far as I know) instead of trying to release it as a movie. I've only watched four of the stories so far, because they have no connection with each other apart from the fact that they take place in the same universe and it's jarring when they switch from one to another. I will watch the last two eventually, because I like Westerns and the stories are well-told - but it's definitely not a movie. In book terms, it's a collection of short stories, not a novel.

3. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Narcos S4

4. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Caved in and watched One Punch Man

I started with one episode last night with dinner and ended up binge watching the whole thing between yesterday and today.

GOD THAT'S GOOD WRITING!

Meta without turning to the camera and winking not even once! I might be a bit cynical... Ok very cynical. Anyway whenever I hear a character monologue be it in a show or in a book I started to mimic the "yada yada yada" sign with my hand. In this show that's actually part of the joke. Whenever someone monologues, uses a trope or goes emo with their backstory it's one hundred percent serious (and well written) so I find myself doing the yada yada sign with my hand just as another character inturpts them to go "what? dude say it in 20 words or less" or "blah blah who cares you're taking too long I have other things to do!!!"

You know what? It's hilarious every single time because they nail the timing and never, ever, EVER break character to wink at the camera. This.. is awesome!

A super hero parody show done right.

SnackBarbarian and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Watched the rest of The Kominsky Method. It reminded me of Wonder Boys (movie) in some ways. Overall, not bad and not great. High production value kept up through the whole thing.

Readsalot likes this.
  6. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Watched one single episode of Neo Yokio

Just one.

one.

I want to gouge out my eyes and pop my ears.
    That was easy the worst thing I've seen and heard for YEARS! How can you even achieve this level of crap! (warning rant ahead)

Neo Yokio = Pretentious London (yes, they managed to level up London's pretentiousness!)

MC = That guy you created when you were 14 and was into James bond + Sherlock Holmes + Agatha Christie + Whatever. But cram every single cool trope into him and make him boring because stoic is cool... also he is the most handsome and desirable bachelor and there is a board in London square that ranks them so there nyah!!!! (not even kidding)

Plot = There are demons around and the people that catch them are mages called "rat catchers"

Hook = Name drop every single high end brand you can think of and have an opinion on the brand that "the kids" will agree with. From Channel number 5 being old fashioned and dominating the market only in the past to Carter being the classiest watches ever.

Oh and the MC is like a super mage you guys. He is so good and awesome, hooks up with the trendiest bloggers that have like scores of fans. Oh and he is such a smart detective so figures out how to de-demonize people all on his own but totally unappreciated you guys!

Keep in mind this is from the mind of 14 year old so the "clever" part is down right insulting to the viewer.

HOW THE HELL DOES THIS CRAP GET MADE BUT WE ONLY GET ONE SEASON OF ONE PUNCH MAN!

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. Derek Rhys

Derek Rhys Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

82%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Uh... so many. I lose track. I start shows and take my sweet-ass time finishing them. Let's see:

Star Trek: Discovery
    Star Trek: TOS
    Altered Carbon
    House on Haunted Hill
    Babylon 5
    Shinya Shokudo (Midnight Diner)
    Wakakozake
    Kodoku no Gurume (Solitary Gourmet)
    Dad of Light
    Reverse
    Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
    Hanzawa Naoki
    Ama-Chan
    Ryomaden
    Terrace House (the one in Karuizawa)
    Samurai Champloo
    Violet Evergarden
    SAO (the newest season)
    Hikaru no Go
    3-gatsu no lion
    Ballroom e Youkoso
    Bakuman
    Dragon Ball Super
    Durarara!!
    Full Metal Alchemist (first series)
    Fuuka
    Joker Game
    Cowby Bebop
    Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)

I... I need help.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Watched season three of True Detective. Not as bad as the second season. Telling the story over 35 years was interesting.

9. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Love Death & Robots on Netflix. Most of the scripts are rather weak, but the visuals are fantastic. The best one is "Three Robots", mainly because it's funny & not trying too hard to be XXXXtreme.

SnackBarbarian likes this.
  10. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Dragon Prince. I'm up to Episode 8 of the first season, I guess. It's okay-ish-to-good so far -- but then this latest episode with the cursed snow mountain is a complete mess and both SO and I were wondering what the heck happened to the writing...

SnackBarbarian and TravisBach like this.
  11. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It picks back up. It was a bit weird, but I actually really liked the Cursed Snow Mountain ep if its the one I'm thinking of with the wolf.

12. WaywardDreaming

WaywardDreaming Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen Aspiring Writer

78%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, Cursed Snow Mountain was... odd. It gets better, especially as you get into season 2, but the show definitely has it's low points. Granted, Season 2 sorta stalled out for me as well, toward the middle.

Lately I've been bingeing Z-Nation and loving it. I love how the show just accepts the whole zombie apocalypse as an inherently silly premise and leans full-tilt into the crazy, while still managing to have emotional payoffs when they need them. I hit season 3 this week and I'm dreading the end of the show since they just canceled it after 5 seasons. ;3;

ETA: Just thought of it, but it really reminds me of the original Dead Island's style of black humor shenanigans.

13. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have heard on the wind... season 2...April...

In the meantime

14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just finished up with the fifth Doctor episodes from the 80s. Watching the 2nd Doctor now. They had this one episode where he went to a fiction world.

Land of Fiction

Pretty wild.

War Doctor likes this.
  15. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good Omens was every bit as fantastic as I hoped it would be.

Declan Heyse and War Doctor like this.
  16. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Where did it show? BBC?

War Doctor likes this.
  17. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Amazon Prime.

War Doctor likes this.
  18. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks. I will check it out. I am not sure this will be available in my country.

War Doctor likes this.
  19. War Doctor

War Doctor Level 7 (Cutpurse) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dailymotion has reconstructed lost episodes from the 1st and 2nd Doctor, as well as all the other classic series episodes.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good to know. Welcome aboard!

[​IMG]

War Doctor likes this.