Who has stories on Royal Road?

Discussion in 'Royal Road Legends' started by John Ward, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And I've put it on hiatus long ago. After reading it through, I had too many problems with it. In its place— Vulgar Display of Power. Yep! I'll be releasing the series incrementally on RoyalRoad, hopefully starting this coming week.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @LWFlouisa Didn't you upload the first chapter of your story to RoyalRoad? Why not post a link here?

3. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm having to wait till it gets approved. Found the first draft, so I may be able to undo some of the damage that turned my book from a LitRPG to GameLit. The biggest issue was that the rewrite lost the context on why it was important to fix the game Voreth's Promise to begin with, and the whole thing about collecting Tacks to rebuild the world.

Then maybe sell some of the older rewrites as side-stories. Plus "Tacking", a pun on hacking/cracking, was a much larger part of the plot. A key detail that was missed, as it was the mechanism for which the fantasy world would be fixed. The older rewrites were done at a time when my Anna-Marie With Her Shotgun was still listed a a Literary fiction on the litreads section of wattpad. So I was under impression I needed to get rid of as many genre elements as possible.

But I decided, screw it, I'm going to keep it as the Contemporary/GamerLit it is.

Also: The prequel is a Guillotine Western. Take Baguetti Western, multiply it by eleven. But Guillotine Western has about as much in common with French Western as LitRPG does for GameLit. Regular old French Western being GameLit in this context.

The difference is The Guillotine/National Razor replaced the Gallows as the method of execution. But it changes Western fiction a lot. Ex room mate used to gode me till the end of time why Guillotines were impossible in wild west. Someone needs to remind her I'm not going for realism. And sand isn't going to get on your blade in NashChat, TN. No desert. A lot of other things I could debunk about why she thinks Baguetti Western is impossible, I don't feel motivated to do or have time for.

Actually a lot of the reasons I no longer do scifi in general.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. LWFlouisa

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  5. LWFlouisa

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think I may move my work elsewhere. Critiquing a work is a fine, commenting on a work while it's a work in progress however has never been OK.

Not only will I block a user that does this on Royal Road, I'll also stop using that website that continues.

In depth, or not in depth. I don't care. Commenting 5,000 words in while something is going to be 30,000 words is a stupid idea on so many levels.

I'm considering dropping having my work publicly available in general until its on smashwords.

6. David M Zahn

David M Zahn Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yuli Ban and VRRanger like this.
  7. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Congrats! At what point did you decide to place on RRL? Percentage of book volume complete? Amount of revisions or peer reads? I have been wondering about putting some up but have heard that to get followers you have a have a large volume and consistent releases, which I am not able to commit to yet. But it would be nice to have feedback :)

8. David M Zahn

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was asking about ARC readers (cause I'm planning on putting it on Amazon when I'm finished) and Paul suggested I could get some on Royal Road which I'd never heard of. I live under a rock, I know. I also figured it would be nice to get some feedback on my book. I'm a fourth of the way through my 2nd draft and have a pace of updating about 1 chapter a night.

Yuli Ban and VRRanger like this.
  9. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right, so I'm likely going to upload the first chapter of Lady Wukong vs. The World tomorrow and it'll be live by Sunday. I'm debating what length I want the chapters to be. Roughly 1,000 words a piece? 2,500? Just go with the flow?
    I'm also constructing a Patreon page just to have it ready.

Lastly, I noticed that you can upload Fanfiction to RoyalRoad. This is making me consider uploading some old stories of mine.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The chapter will tell you? I vary a bit depending on where I am in the book and what my goals are for that section. It's different for a web serial, though.

11. LWFlouisa

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I probably wont write anything else there, but going to keep my first Uploaded Fairy book there.

The rest of the series I'll probably put up on Archive.org, and link them through my blog.

12. David M Zahn

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How much of a novel would you guys put on RR? I've got 8/20 of my novel in its 2nd draft up there right now but am not sure if I should post the whole thing since I plan on selling it on Amazon eventually.

13. LWFlouisa

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd delete the ones I have up there if I could.

14. YonEye

YonEye Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not an author, but I've always heard that the biggest threat to authors is obscurity. From the sample size I've seen, there doesn't seem to be any downside to posting everything there. Siphon, Red Mage- Advent, and Everybody Loves Large Chests were all posted in full and did great on Amazon. The Wandering Inn is posted in full on its own site and had great sales as well. I think there is a requirement that you be exclusive to take part in the KU program, which is why Wandering Inn isn't on KU while Siphon is but had to take down chapters 5 to 36. But that's only a concern once you publish there, there's no problem with it having been available previously

Yuli Ban likes this.
  15. David M Zahn

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gotcha, thanks for all your help. I guess I'll have to pull it down from RR if I want to do KU, but I'll make that decision when I reach that point.

Yuli Ban likes this.
  16. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    VRRanger and LWFlouisa like this.
  17. LWFlouisa

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Put it on read later. I might not comment though, comments (in the critique a story sense) just aren't my specialty.

I can do lots of programming comments, marked with #.

18. David M Zahn

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  19. David M Zahn

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just found out Digital Sorcery made the trending page on RR. Gah I’m so excited!!! Ha it’s the little victories that help keep the aspiring indie author going!

VRRanger likes this.
  20. Sarah Lin

Sarah Lin Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

56%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm currently working on a project I intend to post on RoyalRoad - do any of you veterans have advice for me?

My plan is to post a chapter every three days until the basic story (roughly a novel's worth) is done. If it gets attention, I could do more with the same characters/world. If not, evidence suggests that there's no harm in having it on RR before I put it on Amazon anyway. That's my thinking, anyway.

VRRanger likes this.