Who has stories on Royal Road?

Discussion in 'Royal Road Legends' started by John Ward, Sep 21, 2017.

1. David M Zahn

David M Zahn Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll tell you from my limited experience I have no idea how to boost attention on RR. I posted on here for people to check my story out but other than that I think the only "advertising" I got was the limited amount of time my new chapters would get when I posted them. I posted the chapters from my first book pretty fast like your every three day thing but now I'm only doing once a week on weekends for book 2 in my series (both are under the same novel on RR but marked as B1 or B2 before the chapter title). I think the biggest thing is just updating consistently which will get some people to follow you and rate your story, etc.

Post your story on here once you put it up on RR and I'll follow it and try to read it. Best of Luck!

Sarah Lin likes this.
  2. Sarah Lin

Sarah Lin Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

56%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, and thanks for the input!

3. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Since you're familiar with the site I have a question.

I've been thinking about posting the first few chapters of something I'm working on (loosely Litgame) but when I looked at the site it seems as if all the ones on the top are... well, for lack of a better word sex baiting starved teenage boys... Which might not be my audience since I'm aiming for adults ^_^;

4. David M Zahn

David M Zahn Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't read any other stories on their yet lol, but I will say my story is aimed at adults and while there are some immature sexual jokes in it I wouldn't call it young adult and it's doing fine as far as I can tell. I think if you post chapters you'll be fine if you're aiming for adults. Use your blurb to make it clear who the intended audience is.

5. RodneyGoodall

RodneyGoodall Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have justt started posting my story there.
    Cursed World (LitRPG Fantasy Adventure) | Royal Road

I have done some research into getting the most out of RR, this is through taking notes on what works, how much authors are making via Patreon and being in a writers group who all publish there.

LitRPG does fairly well, it seems to be mostly young teens to early twenties, but dont let that put you off. Non-LitRPG can do well there and people earn from those stories.

LitRPG is best, just do the right thing in the story and it will grow and be widely read.
    The key is to be a regular poster. Anything from one chapter a day to about 1 in 5 days appears to be ideal. Chapters between 1500 and 4000 words, reply to comments but mostly, give them a good story.

The people who do that for at least six months get to about $300 per month, one year is about $1000 per month, beyond that it varies from $1200 to $5000 per month, but that is years worth of ongoing stories to earn that money.

To me, that is quite good from a modestly sized site, so start there, expand to other similar sites and stick with one ongoing story to bring in the regular readers.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Thomas Davidsmeier

Thomas Davidsmeier Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was trying out Wattpad, but I don't think there are nearly as many LitRPG works on there. It is mostly a Romance sort of place. I'd say trashy Romance, but I don't want to offend any of Paul Bellow's former identities.

Guess I ought to start putting up my story over on Royal Road as well...

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I did okay on Wattpad with Goblin. Never used them for romance. ;)

8. RodneyGoodall

RodneyGoodall Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is anyone aware of a dedicated LitRPG site that delivers stories like RR?
    It is a niche that could do well given it recent growth.

9. Joshua Bender

Joshua Bender Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Standard Time (Est)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've had my current project up on RR for about two weeks now, doing 1 chapter a day. It's slowly gaining readers, though it's not one of those rollercoaster books that goes from one cliffhanger to the next per chapter, so I think it's more liked by people that like my world and the airship stuff than anything else, from what I've seen so far. One thing I have noticed from reading through RR books, is that the quality is highly variable. There are authors that only post 800 word chapters, and there are also authors that post chapters like 10k long every day or so. I'm personally a bit nervous about being able to keep up with them once I run out of raw chapters to refine, and have to get back to writing the book. Most of my chapters are 2-4k words, so I'm sort of in the medium output. That said, I'm about to get into some of the most action and fast paced parts of my book, so I think I may manage to pick up more readers.

If anyone wants to take a look, it's pretty far along now:
    Sky Drifters | Royal Road

10. SamuelKKauffman

SamuelKKauffman Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Pacific Standard Time (UTC -8)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paul Bellow and Yuli Ban like this.
  11. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Congrats! The first step on a long road, I hope.

12. SamuelKKauffman

SamuelKKauffman Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hope so, too, yeah.

13. WaywardDreaming

WaywardDreaming Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen Aspiring Writer

78%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alright, thanks in large part to seeing how y'all do it, I bit the bullet and posted The Forest Dark on RR. I'm so super nervous to see how it does, but that's kind of fun in a lot of ways. It'll be updating Sundays from here out if y'all care to have a look.

Sarah Lin likes this.
  14. Sarah Lin

56%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wish you the best of luck with it!

15. WaywardDreaming

WaywardDreaming Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen Aspiring Writer

78%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you so much!

16. Glyax

Glyax Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Been writing this story on RR since mid-November... hit top 50 for a little over a month before I moved and had to slow down my release speed. So yeah, cheers :)

DCO- Dungeon Core Online | Royal Road

17. Sarah Lin

56%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey everybody! I've mentioned my project here before, but I realize now that I never actually linked it. I've been posting my story on RR for a month now:
    Street Cultivation - a modern wuxia/litrpg hybrid | Royal Road

Now that it's a month old, it's on the trending list and more people are seeing it. Fingers crossed for a positive reception!

WaywardDreaming likes this.
  18. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, I finally updated Eternity Wars on Royal Road, guys... hopefully you guys decide to take a look at the new update.

19. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had to choose to leave Royal Road because I couldn't tolerate the ...atmosphere: just because a website doesn't obsess about identity politics, necessarily make it the atmosphere any more bearable. Specifically, maybe I'm just gotten cynical, but things like average rating shouldn't be left up to the reader, it should be an actual average of ratings made be all the other ratings done inside the review.

But Web Novel has been mostly great, even despite the problems.

Web Novel still had to curb some people that just signed up for the website just to give people one star reviews, and not interact. They call this review Spam, and is generally not as tolerated as it is on say ...Amazon.

I don't mean one off one-star reviews (that's fine) but what we call "Review Stomping" in LitRPG/GameLit. You can actually be banned for that, which leaves me more hopeful than I've been in a long time.

Any website that can't curb review stomping, is not a website I choose to publish in.

WaywardDreaming likes this.
  20. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Question: Are we talking about the same Web Novel that hosts the story "The King's Avatar"? I hope so.