Who's Using Book Brawl?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anyone care to share what they think so far?

What's the traffic like? Good content going up?

KTHanna and Alexis Keane like this.
  2. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haven't put my fic up on there yet, I want to get my next chapter out first... as it is, though, the content is pretty good... the only issue is in scale so far... the number of fics are growing slowly, however that'll speed up exponentially once there's a critical threshold of stuff on there, especially since a good deal of what's on there isn't on RRL...

Hondo Jinx and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. KTHanna

KTHanna Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

57%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right now the site is a bit of a mess, but that's because the coding is getting done slowly. I think the first developer sort of disappeared off the face off the earth, so Travis has has to get new ones. They're working on some back end stuff first (including the editor you put your fiction up with), and will then work on things like sorting new releases, and popular titles etc.
    I've been posting my book up there, but as I'm not known, it's not like people look for it. It's nice to get in some practice though. ;)
    Overall, I think when it's working as intended, it's going to be awesome.

4. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think both of the books on there are really good.

5. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought it was about time to give it a shot there. I'm going to post a new work there first then on my Wattpad.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let us know how it goes, please.

7. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It’ll be a good comparison for sure.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First, I will say the forums seem very disorganized to me. All groups seem mashed together, so I think I'll be sticking around here. For at least that section of it. The create book function is very similar to how Wattpad does it, but it isn't as clean or finished feeling.

More updates as I explore it further.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The forums are super hard to work on - they do separate out but there's a dropdown on the top left that is how you chose sub groups.

If you have suggestions for anything on the site, give a shout. We (Book Brawl peoples) would love feedback.

That being said, traffic is low across the board. We haven't pushed out a ton - but we've also got a lot of the analytical stuff on a dashboard. Like RRL, Book Brawl hopes to eventually bring that to an author level so that authors can watch traffic on their own like WordPress does.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good to know. I hope things don't come off as offensive though. I'm just posting as I explore it since it doesn't seem many people are using it from here, and I'd like to give a play by play.
    Knowing who runs it, I'm giving it a shot for the same reason I plan on giving Portal Books one. I respect the people that created it.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's a few author investors and a few authors who are going to take on a community ambassador type role. We're a bit intermingled. I'm in the mix because I've spent years on all sorts of web serial aspects and poke my head into anything and everything when I have time.

From a design standpoint, I absolutely love about 80% of the forums here - there's so much value for any game oriented site, which Book Brawl has - and f I have my way, we'd follow suit - while still trying to be original of course. I don't like the idea of copying work, but I do love how the achievement system and forum layout work here.

The forum that Book Brawl uses has an achievement system as well but it's ....not friendly to use. At all.

But aside from that - I don't really get defensive anymore on the internet. I have two kids and 3 hours of commuting each day. Internet drama is more like popcorn amusement....so it's unlikely anything passable you say would bother me. Some of those book reviews have...pushed my thresholds a lot as well.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm almost scared to ask which reviews would phase you with a list of resistances like that.

13. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's a topic for another thread - but the RRL ones are under my FrustratedEgo user name - and the rest on Amazon under Stephan..or Audible...or Goodreads. I get a lot of deep love or utter revolution due to vaguely realistic depression as a character flaw.

14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Am I the 20% you don't like about the place? ;p

Just kidding.

If you guys ever want to work on a project together, let me know.

15. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not sure where we're at on the current project. The website dev team is paid and I don't have the right software on my surface to plug in and start editing the code for minor fixes. I've been tempted - but day job, writing, and editing on top of that? eesh...so feedback is super welcome. I'll pass it on. But RRL took at least 2 years to go from translating site & fan fiction to slightly public site for original work - and another 2 years, if I recall - before it got completely overhauled in both look and design. Before that it was a fancy BB - with every single chapter of a story being a BB post...and the stuff on the front end was a page built to link all the forum posts together. There's a lot of "labor of love" that goes into RRL even reaching where it is now.

BB's investors hope to avoid some of that by using money to hire professionals, rather than vague partners who were learning to code. So, it's a business from the get go - rather than a fan site that turned business.

Either which way - any feedback you guys have, I'll pass on. The hardest part is just time passing while content gets added.

16. Bonnie L. Price

Bonnie L. Price Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Whether I copypasta from RR or Word, the line between paragraphs gets deleted, and I didn't see a "source" button in the editor. .-.

17. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know the editor has been update a few times from the original - I'll see if a source version is on the list somewhere.

Bonnie L. Price and Paul Bellow like this.