Why do you Love LitRPG Audiobooks?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, May 20, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Convenience? Ability to devour more?

If you listen to a lot of them, do you ever read? Or are you exclusively audio?

Thanks for your input!

Matthew Siege likes this.
  2. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am a responsible person who denies himself the time desired to be addicted to mmorpgs. I prioritize my family before games, however I love listening to audio books while I'm alone whether driving or working. It is a perfect opportunity to satisfy that fantasy craving that I don't actually have time for. As far as reading vs listening, I mainly listen. It wasn't until I started meeting authors in this community that I considered taking on a kindle unlimited account to read the work of the people I talk to on a daily basis. The sense of community makes me want to support you guys and drives me even harder to finish my own work. The desire of joining the elite. Creating something everlasting, but for a community that feels more loyal than any other genre. It feels as if we have more of a connection to each other.

Halimah, John Ward and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love them because I drive for a living. And because it's the only way I get to 'read'

I also proof audio as well. So the genre there has varied a lot, but with networking more in the litrpg area, I'm getting audio from their side now too :) bonus.

Halimah and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When I read, I tend to study. So, if I read a novel, I'm trying to learn something from it, identify problems, think about how I'd do it better, etc.

I'm in a constant state of trying to learn. I can read articles all day, though when I try to read novels, I lose interest quickly, even if I think it's a good book.

When I listen to a book, it's just the story. I think about the story a lot, though not the technical aspects of how it was written. I get to enjoy it. :)

Halimah and Felicity Weiss like this.
  5. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm like you in that I had to stop playing MMORPGs when we had children. I'm too obsessive. Plus, some of the raids and quests take like 7 hours to finish and that's if you get everything right. I can't afford that kind of time playing games anymore.

I love audiobooks because they allow me to multitask.

I read books too, but the only time I do that is for about twenty minutes before I go to sleep at night. I am thinking about getting a Kindle Unlimited membership, but I just don't read fast enough to make it worth the expense.

6. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am the same. Last 20 minutes of the night if I don't fall asleep playing Walking Dead No Mans Land on my phone. I have KU just so I can read the beginnings of books to decide if I want to get them on Audible. If the writing is terrible, I don't bother.

John Ward likes this.
  7. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love those deals where you can get the book for free on KU, but pay 2 bucks or so to get the Audible companion. I snap those things up almost every time I see them. I'm making my way through D. Rus' catalog pretty much because all of his books are available in this way. He's not a fantastic writer-- although, to be fair it's a translation. So, that might be part of the problem, but even with those issues I'll make my way through his catalog because the writing is still good enough.

8. Asakust

Asakust Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm new with audiobooks, Way of the Shaman was my first Audiobook and my introduction to LitRPG. I've been aware of stories, anime and manga that have the game elements, but I didn't really know that a genre was named for it until I got an audible trial. To be honest I enjoy listening to the audio version first (especially since I can have it play while working), then reading it again after. It also helps make work feel less tedious, as well as stimulates my creativity even at work. Although I have very few audiobooks in my library, as they are a little pricey stand alone unless it's one of those really low priced audible upgrades.

John Ward and Felicity Weiss like this.
  9. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You're the second person I've seen talk about Way of the Shaman. I'll have to take a look at that.

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They make me want to read I think I might have a mild dyslexia(or just an eye problem) that rather then making it so I cant read makes reading
    tiring and something about books makes it especially hard for me to read them like I can sometimes get tired after a few pages it also just is more enjoyable for me to read.

11. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Audiobooks let me finish stories I would have put down if I was reading them. It's easy to be more tolerant of less than fantastic writing in audio form especially if there's a great narrator.

12. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually don't like audiobooks, for the most part. Sometimes I'll pick one up to listen to while I play games that don't take much concentration (Diablo 3 / The Binding of Isaac / Darkest Dungeon). These books are usually murder mysteries or something set in modern times without a bunch of funny names though. I tried to listen to more fantasy stuff, but I just can't follow it without seeing the names of things in text.

I've listened to so many great stories that were practically ruined by the audiobook for me (Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson and 11-22-63 by Stephen King come to mind). I'd rather just lay in bed and read at night.

13. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I listen to a lot of audiobooks.

As a teacher, I have far more time to read in the summer. With audiobooks, I can listen while driving, or doing mundane jobs, like staining the fence or the like. It's my way of 'reading' without 'reading'.

I'll add that I have even listened to my own novels on audiobook. Sounds kind of weird, maybe, as I am not likely to go back and read one of my novels for pleasure (I've read each so many times in writing and editing...) But to have someone read my novels to me, that's just kind of cool.

Dustin Tigner likes this.
  14. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love audiobooks because I dont have the time to read and when I do, it puts me to sleep so it takes me weeks to finish a book. I can listen to an audiobook every 2 days because I get about 6-7 hrs in while traveling and working. I usually dont listen on the weekends unless driving or burning or cutting grass. It must be surreal to listen to your own book @TWErvin2

@James T. Witherspoon Some audiobooks I can't listen to because I'm picky about the narrator. If its something I really want to read but know I will never get around to it I'll go ahead and deal with it but for the most part theres only been a couple of things that have turned me off of things I really wanted to try. Example: Dresden Files. I can't stand the British narration for that one. Just finished Sanderson's Steelheart today. Thought it was awesome. That was my first Sanderson novel.

John Ward likes this.
  15. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Didn't James Marsters do the narration for the Dresden Files series? I didn't listen to the books, but I thought I'd enjoy his narration.

I'm hugely picky about narrator as well - and there's actually some books that I'll listen to solely because of the narrator. I'll listen to just about anything that Wil Wheaton reads, for example, and I also really like the Stephen King books where he does his own narration.

Glad you enjoyed Steelheart. I also liked that one quite a bit, though I haven't gotten around to the sequels yet. I'd recommend just about anything else that Sanderson has written, but The Way of Kings and its sequel Words of Radiance are definitely my favorites by him.

WildAzazel likes this.
  16. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol really what a conicidence I just finished steelheart like a week ago as my first sanderson novel too although I had started to read mistborn the narrator just was bad

WildAzazel likes this.