All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Your Assuming that all of the Entrances are actually Inside of Law, did it actually state anywhere that that was so? Some of them may be in surrounding Cities, Towns or even Villages of Yves? Even if not originally then it's likely some settlements would form around them. For that matter we don't actually know how many Entrances there actually are? Or that the Royals/Government even know where they all are and has control of them all, although its likely they do unless they are outside of Yves.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes its directly stated that the entrances are in Law itself.

On a different topic, this is the reason establishing node roads between specific Dungeons is so insanely difficult.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And that my friend is why his dungeon should now be capable of connecting to the Major settlements of the HT. It’s only a three day trip by foot but now it will only be a node away from the dungeon. The closest dungeon will only be a node away. Just step right through the node into the new entrance.

It does say multiple nodes in Law but that doesn’t mean their aren’t other entrances. Randy has been one of the most knowledge about dungeons and the HoEHs it self. That’s not to say he actually knows everything. I believe that the series tells about Roswan being more knowledge now as he is a Dungeon Keeper. Roswan would know way more about dungeon functions then Randy ever dreamed.

4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They had a keeper a couple hundred years ago, new king never came into it.

5. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Made a Disagreements Thread, so we can put this down for a while, ----> here

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just wonder how does the dimensional growth happen? Does its layers expand and contract with the number of adventurers? Or does it stretch out with the number of adventurers hitting its maximum?

How do you think entrances are placed? Does the dungeon grant an item that functions like a beacon? Or is it a spell that is cast at the desired location?

7. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My understanding of the labyrinth from randy’s description, is that the Labyrinth is the sum of all dungeons ever born, including all destroyed dungeons. So you are literally walking from one dungeon to another as you travel it. following this idea, i think randy’s more warped regions are what happens to the destroyed dungeons without the item of power and harbinger to stabilize it.

As far as new entrances go i think that the dungeons create them all on there own. Perhaps it has some way to influence the mana on the outside and focuses it to the point it can open a new entrance. It is probably true that the DM and DK have a way to direct where an entrance will open, but law is pretty clear it doesn’t actually need help.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That and the Labyrinth likely grows on its own as well. A SUPREMEGOD-tier Dungeon from which all other Dungeons originate and return to upon "death". The Labyrinth gains their knowledge, their creations, their everything, and in return it makes those things available to lesser Dungeons in return for payment.

The keeper is tied to his Dungeon and has control of its growth. I think he will have a profession ability to create entrances that gets a charge every five Dungeon levels, similar to the special spells Richter gets as Master of a POP with extremely long cooldowns.

darkenedstar likes this.
  9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would need to look for it but doesn’t the series tell us that when a dungeon is destroyed it completely disappears with everything in it as if it never existed?

I personally see the Labyrinth as the greatest of all dungeons. Being the largest body of the dungeons all other dungeons gravitate to the Labyrinth. The Labyrinth being the power it is will attach to any dungeon as soon as it “feels” it’s existence. It readily attaches to feed off the newer dungeons and allows its Labyrinth Boss’s an attempt to harvest the younger dungeons item of power. When the younger dungeons achieve the ability at level 10 to grow inter dimensional spaces they attach back to the Labyrinth to feed off it.

No doubt the dungeons create a entrance at every fifth level. That is a direct statement same as the dungeon keeper being able to place those entrances.we also know that dungeons have their own desires and will develop in ways to meet their own desires. No doubt the dungeon doesn’t need help to place a dungeon that is evident to Laws randomness of entrances.

My point is that the dungeon keeper can guide a dungeon to do things. If the dungeons desires or has the right motivations it’s going to do something’s on its own. Therefore the keeper could guide a dungeon at some cost to a point. Then the dungeon realizes that’s a good location as it feeds its desires and motivations. Another opposing dungeon might even sense it’s approach and grow to help make a connection.

It is plausible that the item of power acts as some sort of anchor for the dungeons field of mana. When the Dungeon heart (IoP) is removed everything could possibly be sucked into the greater Labyrinth.

Or the Labyrinth could be feeding on all the dungeons mana. The same way dungeons feed off other dungeons and locations.

I don’t think there is any doubt that the Labyrinth grows either. If it doesn’t grow how else would it connect to Ricthers dungeon?

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Iop could be anything, including an old copper coin. The act of removing it, the heart of the Dungeon, is likely symbolic. It forces the Dungeon out and closes one of the mouths/entrances of the labyrinth.

Energy flows from the Labyrinth into the Dungeon and from there out into the Land. I don't think gaining energy is the goal of the Labyrinth. I'm not sure its any more selfaware than say the powers of the pop. Which means its completely selfaware, but it might not have a drive towards bettering itself.

Dungeons are the ones that connect to the Labyrinth, not the other way around.

11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t have the quote but the original opening was made by the Labyrinth and it was a one way connection. The Labyrinth entrance wouldn’t let anything from the dungeon come through. Although anything from the Labyrinth could come and go. The IoP for the dungeon can be anything. Although I think it needs to be magically charged or capable of being used as a focus. I’m not so sure how symbolic it is as when the Item of Power is removed the dungeon totally disappears.

12. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pretty sure it was the part of the dungeon in the land that vanishes. The dungeon it self becomes part of the labyrinth.

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That may be I will have to relisten to that.

14. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    “Your Dungeon can be destroyed,” Randolphus stated simply. Richter’s jaw clenched at the thought of someone coming into his house and trying to cause problems. He was almost tempted to make a ‘chest beating’ pronouncement, but Randolphus continued. “If the Harbinger is slain, and the Item of Power is found and removed from the Dungeon, the entrance here will disappear. Everything the Dungeon was will just become part of the Labyrinth. Even if we dug deep into the earth, we would not find a way back in.”

Your quote book 7; chapter 13

15. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So here is a dungeon-related question. We know that adventurers can find the dungeon from the Labyrinth, and now that the Dungeon has connected fully with the Labyrinth, adventurers can return to the Labyrinth through the dungeon. We also know that the Master node will begin to connect more and more Labyrinth nodes to the Dungeon. The God Node might have a similar (but likely stronger) effect. Can these foreign adventurers access the entrance chamber though. Dungeon access is turned off by default right? And "the forsaken" who were thrown into the dungeon did not have access to leave. Will Richter need to setup a market inside the dungeon if he wants to establish trade with these visitors. Could he setup housing as well, and allow these adventurers to take up residence without ever allowing them to enter the MV? Should he? Can he give Randy or Sion the ability to grant access to the dungeon or access to leave the dungeon?

Sorry, I know that was a little rambling.

16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1) I find it unlikely that they would be able to enter the primary entrance chamber from the Dungeon as Richter has closed it off. There is also the barbican to consider, even for a highlevel party attacking fortifications guarded by ten times their number head on is no joke. Lesser entrances may be open to all until Richter finds a way to control them.

2) I'm not sure it would be desirable to establish a market inside a Dungeon, let alone housing. I would settle for the adventurers and other visitors being peace sworn before they enter the mist lands, both by oath magic and mundane means. It won't stop every scumbag infiltrator, its impossible to keep infiltrators out when you take in hundreds of people at a time.

3) It hasn't come up who can and cannot decide on who can enter. I'd guess Richter can grant that power, and that the guards at various entrances will eventually have that power.

17. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wonder how easy it might be for someone from The Land to enter a different Worlds/Realms Dungeons and then enter that World/Realm via the Labyrinth?
    And how long it might take before information about what has happened to Earth to perculates to The Land or before someone from Labyrinth Earth enters The Land?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m not sure how you are using the term Labyrinth?

I. Do you mean the “Labyrinth” as the entire spiders web of dungeons and node roads along with its Labyrinth core at the heart?

II. Or do you mean the “Labyrinth” as the greatest of all dungeons manifested at the center of all dungeons enter connected by the node roads?

I think at some point Ricther will lose the right to grant access via the dungeon. I think it would be beyond the sense of being wise to build a barbican at every entrance. It would need to be manned but it is another layer of security. It could also create another point of taxation for node road travelers.

Non adventurous (peaceful) types of rooms can be built at some cost.

I have advocated for a Dungeons market as another location that could off load higher end adventuring equipment without having to expose the MV secrets. It would also help prevent others as seeing the tiny MV as wealthy in highend products. I wouldn’t go to any expense building anything else in the dungeon besides a slaughter house and perhaps some store rooms.

19. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    By the term Labyrinth I mean the Labyrinth. I don't think there are multiple definitions. I suppose one could claim that Dungeons are technically part of the Labyrinth. But aside from that technicality, the term "Labyrinth" does not normally include Dungeons unless otherwise stated.

I don't think a "Labyrinth core" has ever been mentioned.
    I'm not even sure what this means.

I am of the opinion that additional external dungeon entrances would lead into the same entrance chamber, or at least that Roswan and Richter can intentionally design it that way. That way any traffic in and out of the Dungeon would have to flow through the Barbican.

If Roswan were to build some longhouse-style rooms in the dungeon using the same method he used to create the egg genesis chamber, it wouldn't cost too many Dungeon Points. He also has a larger pool to play with now. The same goes for creating a small market. Perhaps a series of safe-zone rooms could be connected to a hub that connects directly to the barbican room.

20. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t see that happening. A dungeon master has to have some power. However access via the labyrinth would partially undermine his control.

Waterhobit likes this.